Thursday, June 2, 2011

Our Garden...

"Of all the wonderful things in the wonderful universe of God, nothing seems to me more surprising than the planting of a seed in the blank earth and the result thereof."--Julie Moir Messervy

It IS such an amazing thing, planting seeds and realizing the dream of growing your food and being able to be such a close audience to the glory of God's creation.

Ron and I planted our families very first garden this year. It's a raised-bed garden and a good size for our first one! It's 17 and 1/2 feet by 4 feet across. We've planted a pretty wide array of vegetables and I graphed out each square foot so that I remember exactly what's where! It's so exciting! We planted the following: Yellow Onions, Orange Bell, Red Bell, Green Bell and Banana Peppers, Lots of Cucumbers, Beefsteak, Grape and Cherry Tomatoes, probably too much Zucchini, Yellow Squash, Anise, Marigolds (to keep out pests), Green Beans (both climbers and bush beans), Snappy Peas, Corn, Butter Leaf and Red/Green Romaine Lettuce, Spinach, Lemon Balm, Basil, and Beets!! After only 5 days, I saw sprouts! The Green Beans, both the Pole and Bush varieties are actual plants now after only 13 days and the corn is coming up as well as the peas! The tomato plants have blossoms and the zucchini and squash are about there too! I'm just imagining going out to our very own garden to pick the veggies we'll have for our dinner!  I have taken some pictures, but I'll wait until I take some more at various stages before I post them all.

I'll post a Garden Update Soon!!!!
Thank you for reading!

-Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment